Blog Archive

Monday, October 23, 2017

DLC, Season Passes, and Mystery Characters(Slight Rant)

So, we got some DBFZ news today!

The game launches Jan. 26. Yay!

It'll have a Season Pass. Ehh...well, this does seem to be a thing now. I'm not particularly for or against the concept. I mean getting the season pass to get stuff at a discount, as opposed to buying piecemeal? I can deal. I mean DLC is a thing now, and it'll stay a thing-games are expensive, and they gotta make up for costs.

I mean Killer Instinct runs on an excellent DLC/Seasonal model right now. I'm not against the concept, I think it can done well, or done poorly. It's not the concept, it's how it's used.

This DBFZ SP includes some music, other bits...and 8 mystery DLC characters.

8 MYSTERY characters.

Okay guys, really, this is the part that's getting me.

Let me clear the air; I'm okay with guest mysteries. Like, cool. Geese being announced later for Tekken was actually pretty awesome and brought some hype. I kinda feel having a couple of guest characters attached to a SP is alright. (You can buy them separate too, which is okay.)

But this Entire Season's worth of mystery character BS has to stop.

You aren't hyping up anything guys. I ranted about this a couple times in the past but now I'm going full in because it keeps happening. If you don't know whose going to be in the game yet? Just don't announce the shit for sale until you know. Now it's not the price that's getting me. 8 characters for 35 dollars is like just over 4 bucks a character. Price isn't what's getting me. It's the fact they're fucking mysteries. 

Again, look at Killer Instinct.

What am I paying for here? Am I paying for my personal pick Roster of Playable 17, Broly, Roshi, Hercule, The Great Saiyaman, Gotenks, Zarbon and Gadgeteer Bulma?

Or am I paying for a bunch of rando clones? Am I paying for an Everyone's Goku Pack? Or new characters, of which many I don't really care much for or about yet because they haven't been a part of my life for 20+ years?

It's like if I go into a Wawa and order a sub and all of the little buttons on the computer where I build my sub are all blank and I have no idea if I'm getting that crisp Italian Classic Hoagie with oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, oregano, provolone, and extra meat, or if I'm getting a cold meatball and swiss Shorti with Miracle Whip, tomato sauce, BBQ sauce, and strawberry jam? Or did I just order a fucking mayonnaise sandwich?

Do they think we want to walk into a store and order Mystery Meal 3 off the wall and pay 10 bucks for it? Or like five mystery meals for 35 bucks? That's what this feels like.

Just. Tell. Us. The. Goddamn. Characters. Unless it's 'special surprise guests', or 'Bonus Surprise Characters'(which I'd be okay with a couple of, like again, Tekken's two guests-actually, one guest-keep in mind Geese was announced very soon after the game's release).

Hell, release them like KOFXIV did. Once a week drop a character. That was hype!

Again. Season Passes? I'm fine with, even though I know others aren't fond of them. Character DLC? Fine with.

An entire freaking season of mystery characters I'm supposed to want to buy sight unseen? I could be spending that 35 bucks on something I KNOW I'm going to like, like that Wawa hoagie, a large coffee, and then go like get a sketch commission from a friend.

I suppose I have a few small exceptions where I'd do this, but it would have to be for a series where I'm positive I know *roughly* what I'd be getting. Like, if they put out a new Hokuto no Ken fighting game, and they said 'We have 4 DLC from the CLASSIC SERIES', then I'd probably grab it because I know I'd be getting characters I give a damn about(even if they maybe wouldn't all be favorites.)

But DBFZ and SFV just need to cut it with the mystery stuff every season. Take a page from KOFXIV and announce them over time. Or KI, where they have a few ready at the start of a season, and give you some more later. Cool. Can we get SOMETHING though rather than entire damn mystery roster?

(Okay, at least SFV gave up Akuma early.)

Just...really. Before you think about releasing an entire season's worth of hidden stuff before not telling us, would you risk 10 bucks for a mayonnaise and chocolate hoagie? If the answer is no, then just announce at least some of the damn characters ahead of time.

(This rant was brought to you with the knowledge that they may decide to drop all 8 characters on us this week. If they do that? Fantastic! Then SFV ought to follow suit. :P)

No comments:

Post a Comment