Besides the other projects I had been working on(which I know I just uploaded the blog yesterday, it had been in my drafts for awhile-it's just how I write), I mentioned briefly I think that I grabbed a metal model from Reaper, as it's been awhile since I painted one(I think my last one was a saber cat from Grenadier last year, before that, it was those Ral Partha goblins or whatnot in the '90s when I tried it out.)
Boy, did I miss metal models and I am immediately ordering a bunch more of them. They have a charm to them that I don't get from plastic. I'm not anti-plastic, I mean I even 3D print FDM minis-I'll paint them, resin, any plastics, whatever. I have some plastic that I can mess with from parts boxes that I might assemble something of again. I'll still end up painting on lots of plastic, FDM and resin in the future.
But I am definitely loving metal again. I'm also on the lookout for some of those classic Ral Partha figures themselves(I know some marketplaces can sometimes have them.) The heft, the feel, the details, and they do paint a little differently, too!
Here's some pics of the projects! The first is the resin model. (The character's name is Kalreth Blackstar, a half elf fighter/cleric of death, though I mentioned it, an AD&D 2e character.) The character typically fights with a morning star and shield, and carries a scythe(while 2e clerics were usually limited to blunt weapons, different mythos clerics could sometimes have access to other weapons, and for death clerics, this is sickles and scythes.) I think the eye and fire works for a nameless death deity(though in an AD&D game he'd follow whatever world he's in.)
Style wise I went for 'double grimchop' or whatever you want to call it; zenithal drybrush over black(a darker grey and a lighter grey for a better transition), then dark speedpaints. Then a nearly white drybrush over that(more on the top parts), and some lighter speed/contrast paints. Then I did some diluted enamel wash(Villainy Ink Decrepit Filth), and some Goon's Grime on the lower parts so it looked like dirt. Metallics are normal acrylics(I didn't have the right speedpaint metallic colors I needed for him.)
I am very happy with how he turned out! I put him on a 32mm base for easier play(the other is on 40 but it's for AD&D, it doesn't really matter). And due to doing lots of painting the past couple weeks, I liked how much faster he got done.
Here's the metal miniature. He's done in traditional acrylics; I didn't use enamels(I know back in the day enamel paints were often used! But I went sorta old-school style acrylics.) I did use some wash and such. I wanted to do autumn forest bases for both, I was in that kind of mood. He doesn't have his shield here, but his morning star looks more like a morning star and less like a club with nails in it.
And yeah, these were so much fun, once again, and painting this metal brought me back enough that I really can't wait to do more. (I do need some better storage for these things, though....)
So yeah, just wanted to do an update with these, too! I'll be getting back to some Heretics here, and then I think I'm gonna be doing a lot of fantasy models for the rest of the year. Being I've been naturally painting faster these days I am feeling a lot more productive with it, and I hope to be able to score a big metal mini fantasy lot or something from an auction or marketplace.
Anyway, 'til next time! (Still hoping for starting that AD&D 2e game in the next months...)
No comments:
Post a Comment